Literature

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
Miras

The French Project

Post by Miras » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:03 pm

OK, I haven´t finished my English project yet. For a time, I deecided, I will postpone Le Morte d'Arthur and instead of that I´ll read Winston Churchill biography by Branda Ralph Lewis (one Briton leader like another). And I am still rereading Lord of the Rings, but it took me a lot of time till I reached the readable passages. Sorry, Tolkien.

Simultaneously, I am launching the French project that should cover these titles:

1. Song of Roland:
Once a mighty king went to fight Arabs and on the way he angered bunch of Basques. Because of that he lost a close fellow. That´s a bummer, but at least it helped to lay foundations of epic heroic Fantasy tales.

2. Gargantua and Pantagurel:Song represents France´s Middle Ages and this is probably the most important cultural piece of it´s Reneissance. Rableis prologue itself is an excellent comedy.

3. Les Misérables: Well, you can´t probably talk about French literature without this book, now, can you? I am trembling, because this will be me digesting Jean Valjean and the company without anyone singing for the first time.

4.The Cardinal's Blades (by Pierre Pevel): And now just something for the pure escapism. In this trilogy Cardinal de Richelieu is protecting the Europe from dragon sorcerors. Well, better than the actual history.

Also, in the preparation, I have watched seven French (or at least French-related) science-fiction movies:

1. A Trip to the Moon

2. 20. 000 Legues under the Sea

3. Alphaville

4. Fantastic Planet

5. The Fifth Element

6. Snowpiercer

7. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

Kimmy

Re: Literature

Post by Kimmy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:30 pm

I love French Literature but I've not read any from your list. I hope you enjoy them. :)

Jacob HF

Post by Jacob HF » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:52 pm

I read Les Misérables.

It was a unique experience. I never thought I would learn so much about the history if Parise's sewers or the geometry of the battle of Waterloo.

It's an enjoyable plot.

I just started reading The Thre Musketeers.

--Jacob

Miras

Post by Miras » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Kimmy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:30 pm
I love French Literature but I've not read any from your list. I hope you enjoy them. :)
Thank you, Kimmy. Gargantua and Pantagruel prove to be a little iritating. But I hope I´ll manage to stay with them.

Kimmy

Post by Kimmy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:40 pm

Miras wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:06 pm
Kimmy wrote:
Thank you, Kimmy. Gargantua and Pantagruel prove to be a little iritating. But I hope I´ll manage to stay with them.
Yes it certainly sounds an intense book but I hope you persist with it :)
My favourites for the French category include:

Bonjour Tristesse By Francoise Sagan
The Stranger By Albert Camus
Phantom Of The Opera By Gaston Leroux
There' also a book that has always stayed with me named 'Arc de Triomphe By Erich Remarque (He was actually a German author that changed his surname to a French alternative) but I'm including him in my list! It's such a powerful book.

Miras

Post by Miras » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Kimmy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:40 pm
Miras wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:06 pm
Kimmy wrote:
Yes it certainly sounds an intense book but I hope you persist with it :)
My favourites for the French category include:

Bonjour Tristesse By Francoise Sagan
The Stranger By Albert Camus
Phantom Of The Opera By Gaston Leroux
There' also a book that has always stayed with me named 'Arc de Triomphe By Erich Remarque (He was actually a German author that changed his surname to a French alternative) but I'm including him in my list! It's such a powerful book.
Oh, yeah, my mother loves Remarque. But I have read only Three Comrades from him.

Fortunately, nothing commie about it.