USA mid-term elections

Politics, science, and your life!
Phil04

Re: USA mid-term elections

Post by Phil04 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Surreal,
It is not that some bodies vote counts more than others. The Presidential election is a series of independent races (one in each state). The way a person wins without gaining the overall majority is by winning a number of close races and then loosing a series of blowouts. Similar to a team winning the world series without scoring the most runs in the series. It is not the overall total runs / votes that matter, but the relative number of runs / votes within a given contest.

Phil

SurrealSD

Post by SurrealSD » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:42 pm

The net result of which is that one person's vote in Wyoming counts for a 3.5x more than one person's vote in California. Wyoming has one electoral vote per 195,000 people, whereas California has one vote per 712,000 people.
But first, have you tried sitting down with your partner and telling them honestly how you feel?

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:07 pm

And I thought our electoral system in the UK was complicated lol
sweetie x
Please inform MrsSweetie, my HoH, if I'm in any way impolite, disrespectful, inapproptiate, or cause any offence

SurrealSD

Post by SurrealSD » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:12 pm

sweetie wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:07 pm
And I thought our electoral system in the UK was complicated lol
Hahaha exactly.
But first, have you tried sitting down with your partner and telling them honestly how you feel?

Phil04

Post by Phil04 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Surreal,
You are correct. This is a fact that the congressional votes are divided evenly between the population, but the senators are divided by state. However, it does not matter if you live rural or urban, but which state you live in. A person living in Jasper, WY has the same impact as somebody living in the middle of nowhere. (WY has a LOT of "nowhere). Likewise, somebody in San Fran has the same impact as somebody living in rural NAPA valley.

Phil