What are your political views?

Politics, science, and your life!
oldfashionedwife

Re: What are your political views?

Post by oldfashionedwife » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:21 pm

I am a pro choice, Christian, leftie...My husband was also.

OTKspnkr

Post by OTKspnkr » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:31 pm

I would probably fit the more "stereotypical" DD guy. I am a conservative, Christian. I really appreciate this post though because I am pleasantly surprised to find so much diversity in the folks on this forum! It seems we have people of all demographics of life here. How cool! If you had not posted this I would have never known so many different types of people practiced this lifestyle.

NateG

Post by NateG » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 am

I'd say very conservative. Pro Constitution. Maybe leaning libertarian in many aspects.
Traditional.

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:39 pm

I am pretty liberal, but also pretty Christian. My fiance is middle of the road, leaning conservative, but he's not a fan of Trump or Boris Johnson or anything like that.

Kclove

Post by Kclove » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:15 pm

I’d say I’m pretty conservative, especially on the social topics.

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:18 pm

NateG wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 am
I'd say very conservative. Pro Constitution. Maybe leaning libertarian in many aspects.
Traditional.
Not trying to start a political debate (truly), but I am just curious in a yes/no kind of way. Do you think that hardly anybody out there is "anti constitution"? It seems to me that both liberals and conservatives like the constitution. A lot.

Jacob HF

Post by Jacob HF » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:31 pm

Samantha wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:18 pm
Not trying to start a political debate (truly), but I am just curious in a yes/no kind of way. Do you think that hardly anybody out there is "anti constitution"? It seems to me that both liberals and conservatives like the constitution. A lot.
I am not trying to start a debate either, but let me try to summarise the differences as I understand them.

The difference is a matter of interpretation.

Liberals in power (not necessarily every liberal voter) see the constitution as a living document that can mean whatever it needs to mean for the times that we are in.

Conservatives in power (not necessarily every conservative voter) see the constitution as an amendable but otherwise fixed document that means what it was intended to mean when it was written/amended.

For example. Liberals see the right against unlawful search and cesure and see in that a right to privacy and in the right to privacy, they see a right to abortion. Conservatives don't see that because its clear that that was not in view by the people who originally wrote and adopted the bill of rights, while they look at where it says that no one is to be deprived of life and take that to oppose abortion.

I think and hope that I have fairly represented both positions here and explained what the difference is.

--Jacob

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:42 pm

Jacob, I agree with you. I think you are at least mostly fair to both points. Saying that one side or the other "pro constitution" and implying the other "is anti" seems less fair. And hence my question to the OP/Nate

NateG

Post by NateG » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:49 pm

Yes, I do think many people in Washington and several Presidents have been anti-Constitution. It wasn't hard to see. Many see it as a document that restrains them...which it does, thank goodness!! ..It restrains government. So, those who are in favor of big government and having government be the power behind all of our individual lives...yes...they are not always liking the Constitution. It has been pretty evident in recent decades. I see it as a document of individual freedoms and liberties and individual responsibilities. Certain Presidents..as in for example; Woodrow Wilson, nearly despised it because it limited what he could do and how he could control the people. He set out to change it and it went on from there. Others in modern times have shown the same disdain by their words and deeds.

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:18 pm

NateG wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:49 pm
Yes, I do think many people in Washington and several Presidents have been anti-Constitution. It wasn't hard to see. Many see it as a document that restrains them...which it does, thank goodness!! ..It restrains government. So, those who are in favor of big government and having government be the power behind all of our individual lives...yes...they are not always liking the Constitution. It has been pretty evident in recent decades. I see it as a document of individual freedoms and liberties and individual responsibilities. Certain Presidents..as in for example; Woodrow Wilson, nearly despised it because it limited what he could do and how he could control the people. He set out to change it and it went on from there. Others in modern times have shown the same disdain by their words and deeds.
I'll grant you Woodrow WIlson, FDR, Nixon, and Bush Jr. MAYBE Clinton (though as problematic as he was in other ways, I'm not sure I'd quite lump him in on this list) Outside of that, I don't think that this argument will get you far. And being pro big government doesn't necessarily make one anti constitution. Just anti your reading of it.