Literature

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
User avatar
Miras
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 am
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Literature

Post by Miras » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Just to add that I´ve finished it a long time ago and I think I´ll never read Salman Rushdie ever again.
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

User avatar
Miras
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 am
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

The Greek project

Post by Miras » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:47 am

This might not deserve bomabastic opening, but after closing my "Indian project" with mixed results, I decided to read the ancient Greek literature, specifically Theogony, Illiad, Odyssey and Histories by Herodotus in their pure unaltered form.

But to not stay in the entirely serious field, I also want to fully familiarize myself with the original Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan and I m actually in almost two thirds of The Lightning Thief. Until recently my only experience with it was the movie adaptation of The Sea of Monsters, which means I am spoiled a lot.

But I read a lot of other things as well. Among others, the sixth volume of Artemis Fowl and volume 8 of Department Q.
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

Ross
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: Literature

Post by Ross » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:40 am

I noticed someone on the very first page of this thread recommending Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings. I enthusiastically agree. I would also very strongly encourage everyone to read C.S. Lewis’ Till We Have Faces. Please prepare yourself to flip back and forth throughout the book and reread passages several times. I believe this book, if read well, could be of special interest to members of this group as it concerns the nature of genuine, sacrificial (and divine!) love as opposed to a love that consumes and diminishes both the lover and the beloved. If dd is something that is cherished because it preserves the littleness and dependency of your beloved, then prepare to be challenged! If dd is something pursued because you believe that special roles have been established for the purpose building your beloved up into such a maturity that will allow them to experience a love that transcends all earthly loves, then your soul will resonate with the message of this “myth retold” (it retells the ancient story of Cupid and Psyche). By all means, read and reread this book!

User avatar
Miras
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 am
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Literature

Post by Miras » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:42 am

Ross wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:40 am
I noticed someone on the very first page of this thread recommending Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.
Actually that was more about noting the similarity to the book that was actually recommended.
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

Ross
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Re: Literature

Post by Ross » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:46 am

Miras wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:42 am
Ross wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:40 am
I noticed someone on the very first page of this thread recommending Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.
Actually that was more about noting the similarity to the book that was actually recommended.
Ah, I see that now. Thank you for the clarification. In addition to Till We Have Faces, allow me to be the first to recommend Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings. 🙂

User avatar
Miras
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 am
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Literature

Post by Miras » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:47 am

Ross wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:46 am
Miras wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:42 am
Ross wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:40 am
I noticed someone on the very first page of this thread recommending Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.
Actually that was more about noting the similarity to the book that was actually recommended.
Ah, I see that now. Thank you for the clarification. In addition to Till We Have Faces, allow me to be the first to recommend Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings. 🙂
Thank you! I should probably read LOTR sometimes again!
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

User avatar
Miras
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 am
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Literature

Post by Miras » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:47 am

Red Theogony yesterday. Totally surprised that according Hesiodus, the underworld´s guardian Cerberos has actually 50 heads.There is always something more to learn.
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

User avatar
Miras
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 am
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Literature

Post by Miras » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:38 pm

I experienced an interesting case of the messed up edition when reading The Illiad on kindle. Suddenly, Achilles was mourning death of Patroclus, something I didn´t remember it has happened, but I was happy that man with sensitive heel is back in the action. However, in the next chapter, Zeus is once again helping Troyans, until Achilles isn´t fighting against them... And suddenly I´m reading the chapters about the battles and the death of Patroclus and I do understand that chapters were switched up in my version.

What is the lesson, dear students? Probably that you shouldn´t read Homer in the cheap PDF version. He deserves better...
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

KrystalA
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:11 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Literature

Post by KrystalA » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:50 pm

Miras wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:38 pm
I experienced an interesting case of the messed up edition when reading The Illiad on kindle. Suddenly, Achilles was mourning death of Patroclus, something I didn´t remember it has happened, but I was happy that man with sensitive heel is back in the action. However, in the next chapter, Zeus is once again helping Troyans, until Achilles isn´t fighting against them... And suddenly I´m reading the chapters about the battles and the death of Patroclus and I do understand that chapters were switched up in my version.

What is the lesson, dear students? Probably that you shouldn´t read Homer in the cheap PDF version. He deserves better...

I have to get my hands on that book. You're reading about my heritage!!! I'm just now starting to learn about my Greek gods. I love their stories.

User avatar
Miras
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 am
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Literature

Post by Miras » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:14 pm

KrystalA wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:50 pm
Miras wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:38 pm
I experienced an interesting case of the messed up edition when reading The Illiad on kindle. Suddenly, Achilles was mourning death of Patroclus, something I didn´t remember it has happened, but I was happy that man with sensitive heel is back in the action. However, in the next chapter, Zeus is once again helping Troyans, until Achilles isn´t fighting against them... And suddenly I´m reading the chapters about the battles and the death of Patroclus and I do understand that chapters were switched up in my version.

What is the lesson, dear students? Probably that you shouldn´t read Homer in the cheap PDF version. He deserves better...

I have to get my hands on that book. You're reading about my heritage!!! I'm just now starting to learn about my Greek gods. I love their stories.
I´m re-discovering the passion from my childhood. I´m in about 74% of The Illiad and The Odyssey will be obviously next. However, as of now, trying to process Herodotus is torturing.
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

Post Reply