Literature

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
sweetie

Re: Literature

Post by sweetie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:17 pm

I’m pretty sure I’ve watched the film FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC but don’t think I’ve ever read the book.
sweetie x
Please inform MrsSweetie, my HoH, if I'm in any way impolite, disrespectful, inapproptiate, or cause any offence

fogcity

Post by fogcity » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:20 pm

Can I throw some of my favorites into this mix?

I dont read much fantasy any more but I do sci-fi once in while. Favorites are Neal Stephenson and China Mieville, and an obscure
Polish writer named Stanislaw Lem. Check him out on Amazon cause you wont find his stuff in bookstores if any one even goes to them anymore.

I also loved Don Delillo, Rachel Kushner who wrote Mars Room, Telex from Cuba and The Flamethrowers--all must reads. Donna Tartt and The Goldfinch, Little Friend, and The Secret History. Jennifer Eagan and Manhattan Beach and The Goon Squad. I have so many others if anyone is interested. I am so happy someone here reads biographies and history. Check out "Hue 1968," about the Vietnam War and American hubris among other things. Read "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the King." I just watched the PBS series on I, Claudius and it was fascinating!! I binge watched it.

My tastes are likely different from most but I try to get people to have a lick at the books and authors I love. When they do, they find they are delicious!

stevie

Miras

Post by Miras » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:35 am

fogcity wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:20 pm
Can I throw some of my favorites into this mix?

I dont read much fantasy any more but I do sci-fi once in while. Favorites are Neal Stephenson and China Mieville, and an obscure
Polish writer named Stanislaw Lem. Check him out on Amazon cause you wont find his stuff in bookstores if any one even goes to them anymore.

I also loved Don Delillo, Rachel Kushner who wrote Mars Room, Telex from Cuba and The Flamethrowers--all must reads. Donna Tartt and The Goldfinch, Little Friend, and The Secret History. Jennifer Eagan and Manhattan Beach and The Goon Squad. I have so many others if anyone is interested. I am so happy someone here reads biographies and history. Check out "Hue 1968," about the Vietnam War and American hubris among other things. Read "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the King." I just watched the PBS series on I, Claudius and it was fascinating!! I binge watched it.

My tastes are likely different from most but I try to get people to have a lick at the books and authors I love. When they do, they find they are delicious!

stevie
Ironically, China Miéville himself doesn´t much like gnere distinctions, although I know he wrote some pureblooded sci-fi. Lem might be obscure internationally, but he is one of the Titans.

I think I might not be alone when I say Claudius TV series might be much better than Graves source material (btw, second book is called Claudius God).

In other news, brothers Slovaks came up recently with a thing that might be pretty funny - https://www.amazon.com/Ugly-Alexander-B ... 1-fkmrnull
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

fogcity

Post by fogcity » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks Miras for your contribution to this. And I knew it was Claudius the God and not King, though I always say that. The book is on my
shelf but I never seem to get the title right. I cant say if I liked the series better or the book. I just enjoyed both is my cop out.

So China also wrote a book on the Russian revolution that I want to read. He is such a fascinating character. Have you ever read Pynchon or
Salinger? I am sure you have.

stevie

Miras

Post by Miras » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:47 am

fogcity wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:43 pm
Have you ever read Pynchon orSalinger? I am sure you have.

stevie
Unfortunaly I have heavy deficit in the serious literature, but I´m trying to make up for it. Reading Catcher in the Rye is in my near plan.

Miras

Post by Miras » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:17 am

Well, my mother has bought me this - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/201 ... earch=true

I was kinda taken by surprise and obviously I couldn´t tell her that I´m not exactly into post-apocalyptic stuff... But I think it might be very good nonetheless.

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Miras wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:17 am
Well, my mother has bought me this - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/201 ... earch=true

I was kinda taken by surprise and obviously I couldn´t tell her that I´m not exactly into post-apocalyptic stuff... But I think it might be very good nonetheless.
That's the sort of thing I might read, Miras. Thank you for sharing.

I've recently finished reading THE OUTSIDER and ELEVATION - both by Stephen King.

Next up on my To Be Read pile is PAST TENSE by Lee Child, the latest in the Jack Reacher series.
sweetie x
Please inform MrsSweetie, my HoH, if I'm in any way impolite, disrespectful, inapproptiate, or cause any offence

Miras

Post by Miras » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:23 pm

sweetie wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:17 pm
Miras wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:17 am

That's the sort of thing I might read, Miras. Thank you for sharing.

I've recently finished reading THE OUTSIDER and ELEVATION - both by Stephen King.

Next up on my To Be Read pile is PAST TENSE by Lee Child, the latest in the Jack Reacher series.
Thanks and you are welcome... My special friend is quite into Stephen King, but as of now I´ve only read his memoir On Writing. Jack Reacher produced two fine, entertaining movies, I must say.

Miras

Post by Miras » Tue May 07, 2019 2:28 am

Trying to do a reread of Good Omens, before the TV show drops.

Miras

Post by Miras » Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Not direct literature update, but Artemis Fowl movie will open year from now instead of this August. I just feel like I fished out gem and then lost it again in the abyss.