Literature

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
Miras

Re: Literature

Post by Miras » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 am

sweetie wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:47 pm
Miras wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:45 am
sweetie wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 am

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that at some point the TV series and the books went in different directions.
Oh, this thread is starting to take an interesting course. Let´s say I never considered show-only material particularly great. Yes, it started to depart around season 5 and then it kinda had to go completely off the rails in season 6, becouse it ran out of the book material. Suffice it to say, I consider GOT´s own material, once it will be analyzed in detail, full of terrible dialogue, mind-boggling plot decisions and on the side of the adaptation iritating simplifications and characterization derailments.

One good example, do you remember Euron Greyjoy?

Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efwghvZcMRc

Books (only slightly confusing, becouse he mentions some unadapted material): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBiNdwcF4WU
Thanks for sharing the YouTube links, Miras. Very interesting. I see what you mean.
Thank you! And this was one of many problems. Once you´ll fully realize troubles with GOT, you must... Well, considering where you live, you should write the truth to the greatest royal family on Earth! Get the attention of Elizabeth, of Philip, of Charles, of Camilla, of William, of Kate, of Person Falsely Known As Prince and of Meghan! Maybe they can help!!!
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

SredniVashtar

Post by SredniVashtar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:34 am

sweetie wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 pm
SredniVashtar wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm
I divide the world in two: those who have read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, and those who have not.
What side of the world do you belong to?
I’ve never heard of it. Just googled and it sounds too experimental for my liking.
No doubt it is. But if you googled, you also read some critique.

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am

SredniVashtar wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:34 am
sweetie wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 pm
SredniVashtar wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm
I divide the world in two: those who have read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, and those who have not.
What side of the world do you belong to?
I’ve never heard of it. Just googled and it sounds too experimental for my liking.
No doubt it is. But if you googled, you also read some critique.
I did https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Jest.

I read fiction for escapism and fun. I don’t mind a complicated plot but I like the narrative to flow nicely and not be hard work to read. When I saw Infinite Jest had 388 end notes, some with their own sub notes, I thought: no, that’s not a book I’m going to enjoy reading.
sweetie x
Please inform MrsSweetie, my HoH, if I'm in any way impolite, disrespectful, inapproptiate, or cause any offence

SredniVashtar

Post by SredniVashtar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:05 am

sweetie wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am
I read fiction for escapism and fun. I don’t mind a complicated plot but I like the narrative to flow nicely and not be hard work to read. When I saw Infinite Jest had 388 end notes, some with their own sub notes, I thought: no, that’s not a book I’m going to enjoy reading.
Lol. Yep, it's the only novel I know with notes springing from other notes :D . Some notes are 4 pages long :D
But it is all a literary escamotage.
Anyway, I don't want to force anybody to read it. And I also like some very light stuff, that can simply entertain you: I think I read 20 books by Wilbur Smith, and enjoyed them a lot.

KrystalA

Post by KrystalA » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:02 pm

I love reading the classics like Charles Dickens, Bronte, Hardy, and Allcot. But I also love reading DD stories, real and fiction. I'm also into the 50 Shades of Gray books. The newest type of book I love reading is Psychological Thrillers. HOH bought me a new book called Flowers in the Attic and it is great! The Psychology in it is mindblowing.

Miras

Post by Miras » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 pm

KrystalA wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:02 pm
HOH bought me a new book called Flowers in the Attic and it is great! The Psychology in it is mindblowing.
Oh, my mother is currently reading this series and she has usually a good taste, so I believe you.

Tirzah

Post by Tirzah » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:16 pm

I read flowers in the attic as a child. It is really good.

Kerry

Post by Kerry » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:02 pm

I also read Flowers in the Attic as a young adult. I read the whole series and liked it but for some reason, it now seems disturbing. I gave all the books away some years ago. I’m reading The Kiss Quotient and an old book of Stephen King short stories. The shorts are realistic and very disturbing but I still like them. I like his writing style and have read most of his books.
Key

Miras

Post by Miras » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:03 am

This might sound as a snobbery, but I´ve recently red Bhagavadgita, which I intend to use as a gateway of sorts to my "Indian project" which is supposed to cover Vedas, both Jungle Books, Midnight´s Children and Shantaram.

I think I shouldn´t be ashamed of talking Sci-fi and Fantasy here anymore, so I´ll try list some of my favorite material.

You know chat sometimes this forum reminds me of? Ragtag group of heroes in Otherland (not to be confused with Outlander which has some fans here), science fiction tetralogy by Tad Williams. taking place in the future world, where system of virtual reality became commonplace and quite realistic. The very protagonist is Renie Sulayewo, young woman from The Sourthern Africa, whose little brother Stephen falls into come and she discovers that this happens to more and more children, who spend their time on VR internet. This is gradually connected to more and more characters like dying nerd playing Fantasy game, man who hops from one obviously artificial setting to another or little girl on military base. Many people soon find themselves in the struggle against cabal of billionaires and terrible psychopathic killer. The style is kinda tiring and it could have been more imaginative. But it´s epic. As a matter of fact, my third signature is OL reference.

Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherland

Second object of my recent adoration is All Our Wrong Todays by Canadian Elen Mastai.. As it turns out, the only reason wha we don´t live in hypertechnological utopia as envisioned by yesterdays science-fiction is becouse mistake of goofy time traveler who is then forced to live in our world and at least somehow make up for his mistake. It is kinda funny, witty and it is good representation of disappointment of classical sci-fi fan with reality.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/274 ... earch=true

My final recommendation is kinda curious piece of work. The Dead Isle by Sam Starbuck is alternative history stemapunk Fantasy from the version of 19th century, where except of technology, people have the possibillity to make up things by the power of Creation, around which even the separate religion was formed. But in Australia this power doesn´t work and society is therefore more similar to 19th century as we know it. The protagonists are sent there to investigate plans of the local government. It is interesting especially for those who like a lot of worldbuilding. The novel is full of historical material written after the story itself and there are even modifed versions of Pinocchio and Cinderella. On the other hand, the narration is kinda unbalanced. The first 40% is really more about the world than the plot, while the rest is more readable, but also more straightforward.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/651 ... earch=true

My head is spinning from several things I´m currently reading for my reviews and also from reread of Artemis Fowl series
before the movie comes out.

NateG

Post by NateG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:54 pm

Miras wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:03 am
This might sound as a snobbery, but I´ve recently red Bhagavadgita, which I intend to use as a gateway of sorts to my "Indian project" which is supposed to cover Vedas, both Jungle Books, Midnight´s Children and Shantaram.

I think I shouldn´t be ashamed of talking Sci-fi and Fantasy here anymore, so I´ll try list some of my favorite material.

You know chat sometimes this forum reminds me of? Ragtag group of heroes in Otherland (not to be confused with Outlander which has some fans here), science fiction tetralogy by Tad Williams. taking place in the future world, where system of virtual reality became commonplace and quite realistic. The very protagonist is Renie Sulayewo, young woman from The Sourthern Africa, whose little brother Stephen falls into come and she discovers that this happens to more and more children, who spend their time on VR internet. This is gradually connected to more and more characters like dying nerd playing Fantasy game, man who hops from one obviously artificial setting to another or little girl on military base. Many people soon find themselves in the struggle against cabal of billionaires and terrible psychopathic killer. The style is kinda tiring and it could have been more imaginative. But it´s epic. As a matter of fact, my third signature is OL reference.

Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherland

Second object of my recent adoration is All Our Wrong Todays by Canadian Elen Mastai.. As it turns out, the only reason wha we don´t live in hypertechnological utopia as envisioned by yesterdays science-fiction is becouse mistake of goofy time traveler who is then forced to live in our world and at least somehow make up for his mistake. It is kinda funny, witty and it is good representation of disappointment of classical sci-fi fan with reality.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/274 ... earch=true

My final recommendation is kinda curious piece of work. The Dead Isle by Sam Starbuck is alternative history stemapunk Fantasy from the version of 19th century, where except of technology, people have the possibillity to make up things by the power of Creation, around which even the separate religion was formed. But in Australia this power doesn´t work and society is therefore more similar to 19th century as we know it. The protagonists are sent there to investigate plans of the local government. It is interesting especially for those who like a lot of worldbuilding. The novel is full of historical material written after the story itself and there are even modifed versions of Pinocchio and Cinderella. On the other hand, the narration is kinda unbalanced. The first 40% is really more about the world than the plot, while the rest is more readable, but also more straightforward.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/651 ... earch=true

My head is spinning from several things I´m currently reading for my reviews and also from reread of Artemis Fowl series
before the movie comes out.

I read "Bhagavadgita As It Is" in high school. Interesting stuff there. It was given to me back in the days when those Hara Krishna Monks would be talking about Transcendental Meditation and such in the airports. One of them handed me that book, so I read it.

I like to read Classics, Biography and Historical Fiction. In Audiobooks...I go for mysteries it seems. Keep you in suspense while driving.

Recently read The Last Castle...about the building of the Biltmore Estate and the people invovled...very interesting. Also finished Great Expectations...which was okay but on the bottom of my Dickens list I think...Not as good as the others.

Finally reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein now. I always passed it by, but now realizing that it is a much deeper piece of literature than just a horror book.....duh....been popular 200 years now.

Also have a book on the Italian Renaissance that I read in bits .....one of my favorite era's.

Nate