Literature

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
Miras

Re: Literature

Post by Miras » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:52 am

sweetie wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:05 am
Yes I remember Euron Greyjoy
Well, I think that contrast above (and just below my question) is good example of certain trend...
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 am

I'm going to shock you all and and let you in on my secret. I love Amish Romance books!! :lol:

Miras

Post by Miras » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:51 am

Lauren wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 am
I'm going to shock you all and and let you in on my secret. I love Amish Romance books!! :lol:
That sounds like a genre for a quite a tomes. Amish probably like to take a things slowly.

Lovely

Post by Lovely » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:04 am

I haven't done much fiction reading in the past several years as I've been focusing on parenting type books and DD/relationship ones. Even those are few as I have very little free time in which to read anymore. I used to love reading and always had some fiction on the go. Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein is the last book of that nature I read (almost a year ago now). Classic sci fi. I quite enjoyed it. I tend to like fiction books that are rooted in history in some manner, or have become foundational in the way that people often make allusions to them (ie:George Orwell 1984).

Astolaine

Post by Astolaine » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Oh I love a good book (in fact I pretty much enjoy most books - I just love reading)!

I'm a fan of all sorts. I enjoy Bill Bryson books - I like his humorous take on travel and ideas in general. I also found "Round Ireland with a Fridge," by Tony Hawks, exceptionally funny. It's silly as hell, a man who hitchhikes around Ireland with a fridge - but if you're seeking frivolity it's just the ticket!

Water for Elephants was an interesting read (Sara Gruen), but I have never seen the film version, not sure if it's any good? I also like George Orwell's classic novella Animal Farm - I first read that when I was very young and it left a big impresssion on me!

What do we all think about erotic literature? Does anyone have a penchant for that? I've read Emma (Sean O'Kane) and a couple of others.

Would love to hear more from peeps about literature past, present, classic, new and even a bit cheesy! Bring on the books xxx

Astolaine xxx

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:40 pm

Astolaine wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 pm
Oh I love a good book (in fact I pretty much enjoy most books - I just love reading)!

I'm a fan of all sorts. I enjoy Bill Bryson books - I like his humorous take on travel and ideas in general. I also found "Round Ireland with a Fridge," by Tony Hawks, exceptionally funny. It's silly as hell, a man who hitchhikes around Ireland with a fridge - but if you're seeking frivolity it's just the ticket!

Water for Elephants was an interesting read (Sara Gruen), but I have never seen the film version, not sure if it's any good? I also like George Orwell's classic novella Animal Farm - I first read that when I was very young and it left a big impresssion on me!

What do we all think about erotic literature? Does anyone have a penchant for that? I've read Emma (Sean O'Kane) and a couple of others.

Would love to hear more from peeps about literature past, present, classic, new and even a bit cheesy! Bring on the books xxx

Astolaine xxx
I read Animal Farm at school. A great read.
sweetie x
Please inform MrsSweetie, my HoH, if I'm in any way impolite, disrespectful, inapproptiate, or cause any offence

SredniVashtar

Post by SredniVashtar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm

I divide the world in two: those who have read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, and those who have not.
What side of the world do you belong to?

Miras

Post by Miras » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:22 pm

SredniVashtar wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm
I divide the world in two: those who have read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, and those who have not.
Jesus, thank you once again, to show me piece of the light, "Educatore".

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 pm

SredniVashtar wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm
I’ve never heard of it. Just googled and it sounds too experimental for my liking.
sweetie x
Please inform MrsSweetie, my HoH, if I'm in any way impolite, disrespectful, inapproptiate, or cause any offence

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:47 pm

Miras wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:45 am
sweetie wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 am
Miras wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:51 am

Yes, the source material... Meet the disgruntled fan who wants to forget that TV show exists. But I have nothing against it´s audience of course.
My understanding, which may be wrong, is that at some point the TV series and the books went in different directions.
Oh, this thread is starting to take an interesting course. Let´s say I never considered show-only material particularly great. Yes, it started to depart around season 5 and then it kinda had to go completely off the rails in season 6, becouse it ran out of the book material. Suffice it to say, I consider GOT´s own material, once it will be analyzed in detail, full of terrible dialogue, mind-boggling plot decisions and on the side of the adaptation iritating simplifications and characterization derailments.

One good example, do you remember Euron Greyjoy?

Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efwghvZcMRc

Books (only slightly confusing, becouse he mentions some unadapted material): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBiNdwcF4WU
Thanks for sharing the YouTube links, Miras. Very interesting. I see what you mean.
sweetie x