Literature

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
Miras

Re: Literature

Post by Miras » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:50 am

I am still not sure how to break politely to my father that I am not sure he may work on the book proposed by me. There is more to it but suffice to say our writing styles are simply too different. I don´t want to be selfish or arrogant but in the end, I might be forced to bear this project on my own.

Also, I have been recently commissioned to translate one book from English. For privacy reasons, I will not name it but it's romance and sometimes I wish the author has never been born.
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

Miras

Post by Miras » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Miras wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:58 am
I feel this section needs more threads. And I am interested what would you people recommend as good or simply as fun/entertaining books.

I would probably "alienate " myself too much If I would start write here about the shameless pulpy escapism I like to usually read. My own nickname comes from the bottom of the pulp. However I also read more mainstream stuff time from time.

Example given:

Matthew Shardlake series by C. J. Sansom:

This is series of, as of now, seven (the last one was published recently) historical mystery novels/thrillers from the England of Henry VIII era (the last one is Edward VI, though). Titular Matthew is hunchback lawyer who is employed by the top dog power players and goes through the various political machinations and religious controversies of that age.

Although I must complete the last two books, I like them quite much becouse of historical perspective and intrigue. I sometimes kinda identify with the protagonist and I think it´s a little more than just usual underdog sympathy.

More detailed description on Wikipedia (minor spoilers):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shardlake_series
To expand a little from my very first post of this thread, I have read finally the Tombland now, which makes me an expert in the entire Shardlake series. That being said, it is this very book that proves that Sansom should stick to his fictitious plots and not trying to mix them up with unrelated, no matter how monumental big historical events. On the other hand, I actually hope or better say I am curious to see Matthew´s adventure during the reign of Queen Mary. That should be pretty intense...

Miras

Post by Miras » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:41 pm

OK, I´m in the third of this and so I can judge it is written well and I can recommend it. David Yoon teaches you that the internet sucks but the plan to destroy it might not turn out well -

https://www.amazon.com/Version-Zero-Dav ... 247&sr=1-1

I am still consulting my emerging book with one professional writer but he doesn´t have much time. Good thing I now cooperate with a certain publishing house.