Literature

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
Miras

Literature

Post by Miras » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:58 am

I feel this section needs more threads. And I am interested what would you people recommend as good or simply as fun/entertaining books.

I would probably "alienate " myself too much If I would start write here about the shameless pulpy escapism I like to usually read. My own nickname comes from the bottom of the pulp. However I also read more mainstream stuff time from time.

Example given:

Matthew Shardlake series by C. J. Sansom:

This is series of, as of now, seven (the last one was published recently) historical mystery novels/thrillers from the England of Henry VIII era (the last one is Edward VI, though). Titular Matthew is hunchback lawyer who is employed by the top dog power players and goes through the various political machinations and religious controversies of that age.

Although I must complete the last two books, I like them quite much becouse of historical perspective and intrigue. I sometimes kinda identify with the protagonist and I think it´s a little more than just usual underdog sympathy.

More detailed description on Wikipedia (minor spoilers):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shardlake_series
Occasionally friendly Spencerist guy
Faktor IV of MdI - Maghan
Unofficial member of The Wicked Tribe
Putting DD back into BuDDhism

SurrealSD

Re: Literature

Post by SurrealSD » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:31 pm

I Just finished A Plague of Giants, an epic fantasy novel by Kevin Hearne. It's set to be the first in a trilogy. Excellent world-building fantasy novel! If you enjoy books like Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire, you should check it out.
But first, have you tried sitting down with your partner and telling them honestly how you feel?

Kerry

Post by Kerry » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:37 pm

I’m reading Best Short Stories of 2016 Juont Diaz. Really neat story about a new fancy ski lodge. I recommend it so I won’t give details.
Key

Miras

Post by Miras » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:46 am

SurrealSD wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:31 pm
I Just finished A Plague of Giants, an epic fantasy novel by Kevin Hearne. It's set to be the first in a trilogy. Excellent world-building fantasy novel! If you enjoy books like Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire, you should check it out.
Oh, so we are closer in interests than I thought! Thank you for recommendation, I´ve heard about it and here it will come out in the end of March. I´m writing reviews of nerdy literature for one server and one magazine, so I might ask for it as a "mission objective"...

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:54 pm

I’m currently loving the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. I’ve read them all except for his latest, PAST TENSE, which MrsSweetie’s brother and wife bought me for Christmas.

I also read anything by Stephen King, my favourite author of all time.
sweetie x
Please inform MrsSweetie, my HoH, if I'm in any way impolite, disrespectful, inapproptiate, or cause any offence

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:05 pm

SurrealSD wrote:
I loved Lord of the Rings. Read it twice and it’s a long book (actually three books in one). Song of Ice and Fire is part of the Game of Thrones series, isn’t it? I haven’t read any of the books but love the TV series.

Will have to look out for A Plague of Giants.
sweetie x
Please inform MrsSweetie, my HoH, if I'm in any way impolite, disrespectful, inapproptiate, or cause any offence

Miras

Post by Miras » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:51 am

sweetie wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:05 pm
SurrealSD wrote:
Song of Ice and Fire is part of the Game of Thrones series, isn’t it? I haven’t read any of the books but love the TV series.
Yes, the source material... Meet the disgruntled fan who wants to forget that TV show exists. But I have nothing against it´s audience of course.

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 am

Miras wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:51 am
sweetie wrote:
SurrealSD wrote:
Song of Ice and Fire is part of the Game of Thrones series, isn’t it? I haven’t read any of the books but love the TV series.
Yes, the source material... Meet the disgruntled fan who wants to forget that TV show exists. But I have nothing against it´s audience of course.
My understanding, which may be wrong, is that at some point the TV series and the books went in different directions.
sweetie x

Miras

Post by Miras » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:45 am

sweetie wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 am
Miras wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:51 am
sweetie wrote:

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that at some point the TV series and the books went in different directions.
Oh, this thread is starting to take an interesting course. Let´s say I never considered show-only material particularly great. Yes, it started to depart around season 5 and then it kinda had to go completely off the rails in season 6, becouse it ran out of the book material. Suffice it to say, I consider GOT´s own material, once it will be analyzed in detail, full of terrible dialogue, mind-boggling plot decisions and on the side of the adaptation iritating simplifications and characterization derailments.

One good example, do you remember Euron Greyjoy?

Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efwghvZcMRc

Books (only slightly confusing, becouse he mentions some unadapted material): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBiNdwcF4WU

sweetie

Post by sweetie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:05 am

Yes I remember Euron Greyjoy
sweetie x