Any Parents, Teachers, Pediatricians, or Any Other Person That Has a Job Title that Deals with Kids Out There?

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
whisk32

Any Parents, Teachers, Pediatricians, or Any Other Person That Has a Job Title that Deals with Kids Out There?

Post by whisk32 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:47 am

I need advice.... or help... something.. PLEASE!

TheGoodWifeLife

Re: Any Parents, Teachers, Pediatricians, or Any Other Person That Has a Job Title that Deals with Kids Out There?

Post by TheGoodWifeLife » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:07 am

I’m a parent and teacher. Anything I can do?
Sassy Southern Wife & Mama & follower of Jesus

Beauty

Re: Any Parents, Teachers, Pediatricians, or Any Other Person That Has a Job Title that Deals with Kids Out There?

Post by Beauty » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 am

Also a parent and teacher. I’d be happy to try and help however I still struggle with grammar errors! I guess some things we never grow out of! 😳
Happy to be taken in hand by my Beast

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:00 am

Parent and teacher. What is your question?

femalefirefighter

Post by femalefirefighter » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:13 pm

I’m a parent, teacher (both at home and was in an elementary, jr high and high school), firefighter, first responder, med assistant, etc. I can help with med and non med questions.

FFF👩🏻‍🚒
I’m a sassy, strong, intelligent, and at times stubborn, fun loving proud southern wife, mama and Firefighter 👩🏻‍🚒. Married to a wonderful, intelligent, strong, fun loving southern man!! Proud Southern by birth, and saved by the grace of God!!

MyLove

Post by MyLove » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:47 pm

Mama and former nanny and preschool teacher. What's up? I'll help if I can.

-ML💕
Led in love by Phil04, and learning to submit by the Grace of God. Naturally submissive, but not perfectly so, I am praying for a pure heart and virtuous character. 💕

whisk32

Post by whisk32 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Ok, so, we are watching Hub's little brother for a little bit, and he is almost 4 and wants to do to preschool, but he can't say his ABC's nor can he out to 3 (his parents don't work with him at all.) I looked up the age group assessments that he would fall under 3-4 and 4-5 years, but he seems to be on a 2-3 level.

Until this weekend he wasn't potty trained (I worked my tail off on doing that.)

What is the best way to teach a kid the alphabet and to count?

whisk32

Post by whisk32 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 pm

His parents don't really work with him at all, one of his teenage sisters babies the heck out of him, one of his teenage sisters is jealous/mean as hell to him, and his 21 yr old sister either babies the heck out of him or provokes him to be a douchebag. Hubby is the only one of the kids they haven't babied the hell out of.

The teenage sister that is jealous of him has autism, and they literally do let her do whatever she wants, so they don't have to hear her mouth. When she is asked to do anything she doesn't want to do (get up and put her trash in the trash can, go to bed early, etc.) she will say "I'm scared" in a whiney voice so she doesn't have to do it. Well the little dude is smart enough to catch onto it and has figured out how his sister always gets her way. So now when he is asked to do something he doesn't want to do (get in the tub, go to bed, sit in time-out, even when I put him in the Walmart buggy, so he doesn't run all over the store, etc.) he says "noooo, I'm scared." We figured him out pretty quickly on that, and now when he says "I'm scared" hubby will either say something like "idc" or "that's nice" and gets him to do what he's asked. He's smart. He knows how to get away with things, but doesn't know how to count. I love the little dude, and I want to see him go to preschool, but he's not going to get in without knowing his stuff.

Tanaquil

Post by Tanaquil » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:11 am

At least where I am, you can call the public school district and have your child evaluated for free by a Speech Language Pathologist. Then if they are behind, they may qualify for services. And in some cases, you may be able to get into a public Pre-K program. Though of you're not the parent, I guess you wouldn't be able to make the decision about whether or not to do that.

They're finding that too much exposure to screens (TV, computers, phones, tablets) can cause delays in language development. They recommend no screen time for kids under 2 and only an hour per day (at most) for kids a bit older than that. I know you didn't say anything about screen time but if they're not working on counting and the alphabet, this kid must be doing something. And too much screen time is a really common thing with kids.

You said the child wants to do Pre-K, but do his parents want him to? I'm a little confused about the situation.

TheGoodWifeLife

Post by TheGoodWifeLife » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:45 am

Singing songs and making games out of learning so that it’s entertaining and fun for them would be my suggestion. We sang a LOT of songs when mine were little. We had one of those leap frog magnetic letter things on the fridge too that all little ones seem to love to play with. I taught my kids basic sign language starting when they were still babies, but I’ve found pre school age kids are like sponges too and they soak up everything. All my toddlers/pre schoolers learned our songs and sign language within weeks! Repetition is key. Also, read to them often. Reading to and with kids helps tremendously to develop their language skills. I’ve fostered lots of little ones who came to us completely non verbal and with some time and patience, they all made great progress. You can print off letters of the alphabet and ask them to point to the A, B, C, etc. Within even one week, you’ll be amazed how much they’ve learned!
Sassy Southern Wife & Mama & follower of Jesus