Off-topic question about kids

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
SurrealSD

Off-topic question about kids

Post by SurrealSD » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:50 pm

Would a 7-year old girl like going to see The Nutcracker? Are they mature enough to enjoy a ballet at that age? I kind of want to take my niece, but I don't want to spend nearly $150 on tickets if she won't enjoy it.
But first, have you tried sitting down with your partner and telling them honestly how you feel?

Lauren

Re: Off-topic question about kids

Post by Lauren » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:07 am

It really depends on the kid. The Nutcracker is a longer one isn't it? I think at 7 you should be okay. Last December two of my friends and I took six 3-7 year olds to a 2 hour ballet. There was an intermission at the 1 hour mark. One of my friends owns her own dance studio so these girls have been brought up taking "lessons" and have interest in dance. Does your niece do dance? Or is she interested in dance?

AddyJane

Post by AddyJane » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:15 am

Does she dance?
My mother took me to see the Nutcracker every year since kindergarten; It is a special memory for me!
I was even in the Christmas party scene for several years when I danced with my dance company. Still love it!
It’s such a magical story, children really do follow along. My obsession actually came from several of the Fantasia scenes... so I knew the music even at 5.
Knowing the music or story helps.
That’s why I asked if she danced, usually around this time of year ballet studios incorporate the songs and indoctrinate the younger kids lol! Maybe with the Disney movie out it will make the story even more recognized by her age group!
My one caution would be it is long... add intermission and it’s a 3-4 hour outing.
I think 7 is an appropriate age, but it might depend on the child. More than age, I worry screen addition sours kids to such experiences. But that aside, she’s the right age. Some make the mistake of taking two or three year olds... I think that is too young. But 7 might be the perfect age!
SurrealSD wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:50 pm
Would a 7-year old girl like going to see The Nutcracker? Are they mature enough to enjoy a ballet at that age? I kind of want to take my niece, but I don't want to spend nearly $150 on tickets if she won't enjoy it.

TheGoodWifeLife

Post by TheGoodWifeLife » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 am

SurrealSD wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:50 pm
That’s very sweet of you! One of my daughters went to see the Nutcracker when she was in second grade (7-8 years old) and she still has great memories of that day! She’s always been into dance and performing, so it was great for her. My youngest is 8, and I don’t think she would be all that interested? She’s seen Paw Patrol Live a few years ago and loved that lol, but the Nutcracker probably wouldn’t be that interesting to her. Maybe you could ask your niece’s mom and dad what they think? You’re so thoughtful to want to do that with her though :) My sister took my youngest to Paw Patrol Live as a Christmas present and she still has the pictures they took hanging next to her bed. Giving kids the gift of a memory like that is so special!
Sassy Southern Wife & Mama & follower of Jesus

SurrealSD

Post by SurrealSD » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 am

TheGoodWifeLife wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 am
Maybe you could ask your niece’s mom and dad what they think? You’re so thoughtful to want to do that with her though
Thank you. :) My niece is actually being raised by my parents, which is a long story but I try to take her places and do things with her as much as possible.

She doesn't dance but my mom thinks she would be interested and enjoy it. Any time I see something that she might like I try to take her and she usually enjoys it but a trip to the ballet is a bigger deal than, say, a trip to the kids' museum so I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea?
But first, have you tried sitting down with your partner and telling them honestly how you feel?

AddyJane

Post by AddyJane » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:21 am

SurrealSD wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 am

Thank you. :) My niece is actually being raised by my parents, which is a long story but I try to take her places and do things with her as much as possible.

She doesn't dance but my mom thinks she would be interested and enjoy it. Any time I see something that she might like I try to take her and she usually enjoys it but a trip to the ballet is a bigger deal than, say, a trip to the kids' museum so I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea?
Awe, god love them! If your mom thinks she will enjoy, I bet she will!
So wonderful that she has you!