Google Reading this site?

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
Jacob HF

Google Reading this site?

Post by Jacob HF » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:07 am

I noticed tonight that there is an account signed in as Google [Bot].
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.46 KiB) Viewed 291 times
Is it intentional that Google is viewing this site? If it has an account then is it accessing the non-public parts of the site?

--Jacob

Lauren

Re: Google Reading this site?

Post by Lauren » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:40 am

They are just spider bots which search engines send out to index the data on the web for listing in the search results of the search engine. When you search for something on google and it returns results, well those results can only be provides as Google has information on the sites listed in the results which is collected via bots. Even without the account the bots would spider the site/board but would show up as guests.

We have several of them. Google and Bing are the only two I can think of right now but there is one or two more I believe.

Jacob HF

Post by Jacob HF » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:16 pm

But if they have accounts then they can index pages that are supposedly hidden to people who are not registered. Nothing is hidden if it is indexed by Google.

--Jacob

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:40 pm

I don't know if this answers your question, but this is what I found.

Forums can set up accounts for these to control them with forum permissions as well as optimising indexing of your board.

Rand E

Post by Rand E » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:55 am

You should always assume that whatever you post here in any of the forums is public. It doesn't take much to sign up and gain access. If you have something private you want to say to somebody, then use the PM feature.