How many Homeschool?

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
AmyJo

How many Homeschool?

Post by AmyJo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am

We are a homeschool family 😃 we have homeschool our now almost 19 year old from the beginning. We have 17, 9, and 6 year old still homeschooling. Just looking for other mommas out there that also share that in common 😃😃

Jacob HF

Re: How many Homeschool?

Post by Jacob HF » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:05 am

I homeschool mine.

--Jacob

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:07 am

I homeschool our 8, 4 and 2 year old.

AmyJo

Post by AmyJo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:39 am

Wow. More than I thought. That is really cool!!!!
❤️❤️❤️❤️

Well I was just wondering. Thought it would be a fun thread to have to share things and ideas. Share about our accomplishments and struggles. 😂😂.

Axel

Post by Axel » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:58 am

I live in a country where home schooling just isn’t possible, except in very rare and special cases. (To be honest, I don’t even know what those are…)
I’m curious to know what the basic thought behind home schooling is. What you want to achieve, or what can be achieved, outside the regular school system. Maybe that is obvious to an American, but for an outsider, looking in, it’s hard to understand.
I’m not in any way critical to the idea, on the contrary. Just interested.

Is it the gender roles? I can be very critical to how that is taught in our schools.
Sorry, maybe this is an other topic altogether from what you suggest, AmyJo.

AmyJo

Post by AmyJo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:08 am

It’s totally a valid question and if you homeschooling isn’t common there than I’m sure you have lots of questions. We probably all homeschool for different reasons. We were drawn to homeschool because we wanted to provide the sole education to our kiddos. We like to be the ones to teach them what we want and on their levels. Whether that is ahead or behind. We are blessed to have motivated kids that love to learn. The oldest graduated each a year early. And the last year of their high school we were able to let them choose what they wanted. They are both into the trades. My oldest son started an automotive business when he was 16!!!!! And then went into a/c work and now he is finally living his dream of custom carpentry work. He is only 18. Married and with a baby in the way. He has done more than we could have hoped for him. All because we homeschooled and let him work as much as he wanted with his hands. My next oldest son is in his senior year and done with his core subjects so we found a real estate school that allows him to take all the classes online towards his real estate license…he has to wait and take the test at 18 years old. But just to have that option. It’s been a blessing.

Mainly we LOVE to spend every moment with them. I can look back and say to myself that I never missed a moment with them.

Okay. Wiping away happy tears now 😂❤️

I hope that helped you Axel. If not. Feel free to ask away 😊😊

Axel

Post by Axel » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks!
Doesn’t it require almost superhuman skills from you, the mother and teacher? Ok, the first couple of years – but then, as they get older, and the curriculum much more complicated?
I’m in awe…

AmyJo

Post by AmyJo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:30 am

Thanks. It is a ton of work. Kudos for all the homeschooling parents out there. It is the most selfless act. ❤️❤️ It takes getting creative as they get older. Math we did use online curriculum because once they reached geometry and algebras then I couldn’t remember enough to teach them. So we learned together 😂😂

It is the most fun I have had though. This year with my little ones is actually the best!!!! We found d new curriculum. All projects and hands on learning. Lots of it focuses on nature and learning outside.

We also are part of a co-op that meets once a week for classes and fun social gatherings. We are more busy and involved with friends than a public school student 😂😂😂

Summer

Post by Summer » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:48 am

My kids are 22g, 12g, 10b, and 3g. I’ve homeschooled since I was pregnant with the 12yo, so going on 13 years now.

The 22yo graduated from homeschooling, went to and successfully completed a public relations degree at a university and is now married to an awesome man who is a minister, working from home for a Christian company doing their PR, and serving in her church. She is living her best life and thoroughly enjoying herself. She is definitely what I would call a homeschool success story, though I give all the credit to God as life was turbulent (not due to homeschooling) and He held everything all together for her.

I love math! I taught advanced math at a homeschool network for high schoolers (somewhat like a homeschool co-op but more formal), so I wasn’t worried about teaching my kids math or science, but I was going to find a tutor for foreign language until my oldest picked a college that didn’t require one. 😁 We’ll see what happens with the other kids.

I homeschool because I don’t believe God intended for families to be so split up every day. Yes, the husband must work to provide for his family, but the wife was in the home raising her children. Sometimes the children went to work and learn with their dad. Families lives together. Sending the kids away to learn is a historically new concept. I just can not imagine having kids and then sending them away for the major portion of the day. It seems so unnatural to me, though I understand that this is my own personal preference.
Last edited by Summer on Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Axel

Post by Axel » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:50 am

Sounds great!
Is there a national curriculum in the US? Or for the respective States?
Over here there is a State prescribed curriculum; what the kids shall know, at each age. All schools, private or public, must follow that. Gives very little room for alternative subjects.