Have Women Changed ?

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
BillW

Have Women Changed ?

Post by BillW » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Female emotional stability has been intriguing me since it coming up as an issue here. What strikes me more and more as I ponder it is the difference in emotional balance between women (as I remember them) in the 1950s and how the women I know today are.

Looking for some evidence that would indicate that I wasn't just imagining things, I found this article about the explosive growth in antidepressant prescriptions published 12 years ago in a Harvard University medical news letter
www.health.hervard.edu/blog/astounding- ... 1110203624
According to a report released yesterday [Oct. 19, 2011] by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), the rate of antidepressant use in this country among teens and adults (people ages 12 and older) increased by almost 400. % between 1998-1994 and 2005-2008.

The federal government's health statisticians figure that about one in every 10 Americans takes an antidepressant. And by their reckoning, antidepressants were the third most common prescription medication taken by Americans in 2005-2008, the latest period during which the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) collected data on prescription drug use.

. . . 23 % of women in their 40s and 50s take antidepressants, a higher percentage than any other group (by age or sex).
And that was the situation twelve years ago. Today that number must be even higher.

Some of this may be drug companies and MDs cashing in. But I wonder if there hasn't been some change -- in the air (electromagnetic pollution, chemtrails), in the water supply, in the food chain or whatever that's making women more prone to being upset by bumps in the road their grandmothers would have taken in stride. I know the (mild) mood meds my wife takes have really made a difference in her.

Does your experience(s) confirm or deny this ?

Mel41

Re: Have Women Changed ?

Post by Mel41 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:37 pm

Wow, this is such a loaded question, haha. I don't believe that women's biology has changed at all. What has changed is the expectations that are placed on women. Women today are expected to carry a career, raise children and keep a home (3 full time jobs!) all without the familial supports that most of our moms and grandmothers would have had. Traditionally, people tended to grow up and remain in the same communities as their extended families. That is no longer the case today, so families are increasingly finding themselves without that day-to-day support and guidance from their parents, aunts and uncles, and elders. And less free babysitting from grandma to get things done around the house. Women are expected to do it all with a smile and social media encourages us to believe that other women can do it so we should be able to as well. It's exhausting.
🎵 Hit me baby one more time 🎵

In love, and together in life, with Steve41

AWE_1993

Post by AWE_1993 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Mel41 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:37 pm
Wow, this is such a loaded question, haha. I don't believe that women's biology has changed at all. What has changed is the expectations that are placed on women. Women today are expected to carry a career, raise children and keep a home (3 full time jobs!) all without the familial supports that most of our moms and grandmothers would have had. Traditionally, people tended to grow up and remain in the same communities as their extended families. That is no longer the case today, so families are increasingly finding themselves without that day-to-day support and guidance from their parents, aunts and uncles, and elders. And less free babysitting from grandma to get things done around the house. Women are expected to do it all with a smile and social media encourages us to believe that other women can do it so we should be able to as well. It's exhausting.
You said it all! Nothing else needs to be said!

Yes it is exhausting and in these times it is like we don't even have a choice.

roseami

Post by roseami » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:46 am

I think that the responses above about the increased expectations on women are spot on.

A further point that I want to mention is that it's actually hard for us to know what women may have been feeling in times when they tended to express that everything was fine. Today it is more socially acceptable to talk about emotional struggles and there are also more professional resources available for those who might need them. While in the past women may have been quickly dismissed as "just crazy" or oh she is being "PMSy" if they acted out or expressed the emotions they were experiencing, today we/they have a better chance of experiencing supportive reactions. Supportive reactions reinforce that it is okay to talk about these things.
BTW, prescriptions for antidepressants may more commonly go to women, but the numbers are rising for males and females alike. This reflects an increased openness of society for people to disclose mental health struggles and seek help, as much as anything else. Diagnoses for mental health conditions and proportions of people (again of all genders) who seek counseling/therapy are also increasing.

Olivia

Post by Olivia » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 am

Absolutely agree with the points made so far!

leenicolelinn

Post by leenicolelinn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:31 am

Good thread, thought provoking.
I think everyone is correct. This is a multifaceted problem. I would also add our food source. My nutritionist and I had a conversation about why young men now look very feminine... (In general)
He said that studies have been done on that subject. Our food even vegetables are being depleted of needed nutrients, add the process foods and foods that are loaded with hormones and antibiotics and we have an entire generation that has issues. We women run on hormones, the hormones that these companies put in our food sources is effecting women as well, if balance between estrogen and progesterone are off it will cause anxiety, depression, sleep problems.

Our families our destroyed, Church attendance is down, social media runs some folks lives, men (in general) have checked out of leadership in their homes, churches which has left women to raise children, take care of the home, and work full-time. This is all the perfect storm.....my question is why would women not be anxious? We were not built or created for all this.

One more thing which probably covers all this is satan is alive and well and working overtime because his days are numbered!

Solution: Lean into our Heavenly Father. Pray for our country and families.

Nic
Learning sweet submission and respect through my Heavenly Father and my HOH Husband.

Firmand

Post by Firmand » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:51 pm

leenicolelinn wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:31 am
satan is alive and well and working overtime because his days are numbered!

Nic
This!

We are all suffering as the spiritual warfare against humanity intensifies right before our common adversary's defeat, and drinking from the poisoned wells of worldly wisdom will no longer be enough, even though our ancestors may have kinda got by after a fashion.

We need the real, pure meat and drink that the Saviour of the world, even Jesus Christ offers in Holy Scripture, and to open the lines of divine communication and assistance through personal and family prayer.

We have to once and for all lay down our defiance, denial and greed for the things of this currently dying world...and get on our knees in prayer to our loving Heavenly Father who is able to hear and answer all pleadings, and bind up and heal all wounds, by the infinite power of His Beloved Son who lived, died and rose again for us, showing us by His perfect life and Word how to permanently defeat sin and death.

Have women changed? Perhaps mostly in that many of them are more spiritually malnourished (at a time when the nutritional, agrochemical, social, psychological, political, hormonal etc and ultimately spiritual attack on them has never been greater), in a way that many of their fortunate ancestors never were. Our sisters are struggling more than ever...but are still the potentially sweet, stable, submissive and virtuous daughters of a living God, full of divine potential, that they ever were!

I second the call to personal prayer and virtue, to living by the Word of God, to humble submission to God's will in our lives, to strong male leadership, to sweet wifely submission to that which is right, to strengthening marriage and the family...and to continue to hope and to serve and to come to know the Master, whom to know is life eternal.

God loves you. You are His noble sons and daughters. He will hear your prayers, and can help you through all this.
Last edited by Firmand on Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forgive my errors...and any and every good thing comes from Him whose loving Almighty hand can guide even me, through His Holy Spirit, and His Son my Saviour Jesus Christ:

"In him was life; and the life was the light of men."(John 1:4)

chrisn

Post by chrisn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:58 pm

leenicolelinn wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:31 am
Good thread, thought provoking.
I think everyone is correct. This is a multifaceted problem. I would also add our food source. My nutritionist and I had a conversation about why young men now look very feminine... (In general)
He said that studies have been done on that subject. Our food even vegetables are being depleted of needed nutrients, add the process foods and foods that are loaded with hormones and antibiotics and we have an entire generation that has issues. We women run on hormones, the hormones that these companies put in our food sources is effecting women as well, if balance between estrogen and progesterone are off it will cause anxiety, depression, sleep problems.

Our families our destroyed, Church attendance is down, social media runs some folks lives, men (in general) have checked out of leadership in their homes, churches which has left women to raise children, take care of the home, and work full-time. This is all the perfect storm.....my question is why would women not be anxious? We were not built or created for all this.

One more thing which probably covers all this is satan is alive and well and working overtime because his days are numbered!

Nic
I think this really hits the nail on the head. We've all changed because we're all slowly being changed. I'm only 41 but I still never thought I would see humanity at this level of crazy for as long as I lived.

BillW

Post by BillW » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:32 pm

I'm hesitant to mention this, but I can see I'm not the only one noticing it.

Many years ago, a psychiatrist named Yochelson and his younger Ph.D colleague Samenow wrote the first clinical overview of the psychological makeup of habitual criminals, after years of interviewing them. One of the (43, as I recall) traits that distinguished their thinking from that of others was what they termed the "victim stance" attitude.

I got more than familiar with this in the course of 23.5 years spent up close and personal with them in the state prison system. One, who we called "John Boy" had been "in a juvenile placement" (the system loves its euphemisms), where he managed to steal a car and make a break for the city he came from. Aged 13. At the bottom of the hill there was a school bus unloading primary school children. Rather than stopping, he blew the horn and ploughed through them, killing several and injuring others. Even years after this, in his mind, it had been the children's fault. After all, he'd warned them he was coming but they hadn't gotten out of his way. That he was incarcerated for this (and more) was, to him, an injustice. He was a victim of "the system."

Continuing in the then-and-now vein, one of my aunts had a Ph.D finished at an Ivy League university except for her dissertation when the Great Depression hit, forcing her to drop out and take a job teaching in a high school. Back then, "the system" was very definitely stacked against women in higher education, but she had taken it on, and succeeded. (I'm reminded of a coffee cup I used to see on women's desks that said, "In order for a woman to succeed, she has to be twice as good at her job than any man." And below that, in smaller type, "Fortunately this is not difficult"). She knew that "the system" would see to it that some time-serving male nonentity would always be the Superintendant of Schools, which galled her, but I NEVER heard her complain about it. That was the way things were, and life went on since there was no alternative.

My sister, on the other hand, dropped out of a Ph.D program in astronomy, also short of one only by her dissertation, because she realized there simply were no jobs at the end of that tunnel. So she parlayed her math chops into a job at a big-deal research institute, married a colleague there, picked up an engineering degree evenings and weekends, and flourished. Retired now, she recently flew to Northern Ireland for a week-long tutorial on genealogy (one of her hobbies), and then spent another week at a luxury resort in Central America for her best friend's daughter's wedding. But, to her, she and all "wimmen" are the victims of the grievous male patriarchy that "oppresses" them at every turn. I can't even talk with her because when questioned about the disconnect I can see between her doctrinaire snowflakeism and the reality of her situation, she explodes into a tirade at the top of her lungs (emotions are the new measure of truth).

IMO, there's obviously been a campaign going on for many years to fragment our culture. Women against men (men are pigs), children against their parents, racial animosity manufactured while being ignored, red states vs. blue states -- the goal being to so demoralize people that they have no backbone to resist, and are reduced to spending money in the fruitless search to find the happiness they should have had, or have been able to have had they not been psychologically incapacitated. Unhappy people spend their money trying to buy happiness.

To make a long story short, victim stance psychology (like the others Yochelson identified) is not unique to criminals -- everyone is liable to slip into it at times. But, again IMO, it should be identified as what it is, and confronted.

Pink cheeks

Post by Pink cheeks » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Yes Bill, women have changed. Men have changed and Society has changed, Expectations on what we should be able to achieve has changed. Computers have made it possible for us to do more in less time. Take on one more thing in a life where there is not one more moment. Social Media has made us believe everyone has a better life then we do and we should be discontent. Social media gives license for mean and rude behavior to others. Social media consumes too many of us. Social media is likely the devil. Covid has not helped, lack of belief in God weakens us all.
Prayer gives strength to us and those around us.