Hugh Hefner

All other things! Cat memes are okay, too.
SurrealSD

Re: Hugh Hefner

Post by SurrealSD » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:57 am

darrone wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:50 am
SurrealSD wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:25 pm
Tabitha wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:20 am
For me, the Playboy motto of women as "entertainment for men" seemed hilarious.
The idea that women are entertainment for men makes me nauseous.
I've seen public situations where women enjoy being the focus of this kind of attention. Professional boxing shows are one example, when the high-heeled, scantily-clad "round-card girls" step into the ring every 3 minutes and parade around while holding up a sponsored board showing the number of the next round. There used to be a venue in California where spectators got to vote for their favourite girl in a "Miss Ringisder" contest, sponsored by Budweiser.
Those women are being paid to do a job. They complain about work away from the customers just like the rest of us.
But first, have you tried sitting down with your partner and telling them honestly how you feel?

TheGoodWifeLife

Post by TheGoodWifeLife » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:19 am

SurrealSD wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 am
TheGoodWifeLife wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:36 am
SurrealSD wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:32 am
I used to box in my late teens and 20s. I was very grumpy that I never got ring card guys.
Excuse my ignorance lol, but what’s a ring card?
A big card that they hold up between rounds to show what round it is. It's maybe 18 inches or 2 feet tall and has a number printed on it. Scantily clad women hold the cards up to entertain the crowd.
I see! Sorry I missed the post further above where you explained that. And hahaha yea, why aren’t there ring card GUYS too?!
Sassy Southern Wife & Mama & follower of Jesus

darrone

Post by darrone » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:03 am

SurrealSD wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 am
TheGoodWifeLife wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:36 am
SurrealSD wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:32 am
I used to box in my late teens and 20s. I was very grumpy that I never got ring card guys.
Excuse my ignorance lol, but what’s a ring card?
A big card that they hold up between rounds to show what round it is. It's maybe 18 inches or 2 feet tall and has a number printed on it. Scantily clad women hold the cards up to entertain the crowd.
Like this:

I've heard of round-card males being employed in some women's bouts, but haven't seen it in person.

Here's an example of the Miss Ringsisder contest sponsored by Budweiser back in the day:

TheGoodWifeLife

Post by TheGoodWifeLife » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:16 am

My dh and my dad are into watching boxing matches, but I’ve never been much interested. I do enjoy UFC and I’m a Conor Mcgreggor fan! I watched the fight between him and Floyd Mayweather and that was pretty cool. Strippers and prostitutes make me feel sad for those women knowing they are SOMEBODY’S daughters. I’ve never honestly thought much about the pretty girls holding the signs in boxing though. I guess it’s so normalized, it hadn’t occurred to me to mind it lol

SurrealSD

Post by SurrealSD » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:19 am

TheGoodWifeLife wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:16 am
Strippers and prostitutes make me feel sad for those women knowing they are SOMEBODY
Fixed that for you. :)
But first, have you tried sitting down with your partner and telling them honestly how you feel?

TheGoodWifeLife

Post by TheGoodWifeLife » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

SurrealSD wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:19 am
TheGoodWifeLife wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:16 am
Strippers and prostitutes make me feel sad for those women knowing they are SOMEBODY
Fixed that for you. :)
Oh, is that because I said daughter?? I didn’t mean to imply that men couldn’t also be victimized! Since we were talking about the women in the ring, that’s what I meant 😉 Also, we have 4 daughters and the thought of their bodies being exploited in that way just make me cry! Of course, I’d never want that for my son either, or anybody’s child for that matter. I’d be interested to know the ratios of men vs women in professions where their bodies are exploited and how many have a history of abuse. It seems many who are willing to let strangers use their bodies for money have not grown up in loving homes with parents who met their emotional needs. Dh and I have fostered several children who’ve been abused in every way imaginable. I guess it gets to me that those children have a high probability of growing up with little respect for themselves or their bodies because the people responsible for them have taught them that “love” is given/received when they abuse their bodies. My point was that someone, somewhere, loves all these women and men and it breaks my heart how many feel “broken” and unworthy of real love.

SurrealSD

Post by SurrealSD » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:04 am

TheGoodWifeLife wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

Oh, is that because I said daughter?? I didn’t mean to imply that men couldn’t also be victimized!

Not exactly. I'm not attacking or mocking, just kind of trying to open people's minds.

"She's somebody's daughter/sister/mother/etc" is a thing we say often about girls and women who are victims of abuse or exploitation. (I've occasionally seen it said about men killed in the military, but much less frequently.) The insidious and subtle problem with that meme is that it reinforces the notion that she is of value because of who she is in relation to someone else. Because she's someone's daughter or mom or whatever. But we're human beings made in the image of God. We are valuable and precious because we are SOMEBODY, not because of who we are to someone else. I am not attacking or judging you, just kind of trying to get folks to think about the subtle ways we speak without noticing and the harm it causes. Even if she's an orphan alone in the world, she's still somebody of value.

Does that make sense?

TheGoodWifeLife

Post by TheGoodWifeLife » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 am

Surreal, I understand what you’re saying now. You’re exactly right. I don’t disagree at all. When I say “somebody’s daughter/son” for me, that also meant God’s child. We all have value and somewhere, there is someone who loves us. I try to show all my foster kids what healthy and real love is and always pray they will grow up remembering that. I show love to the homeless in our area and really, everywhere I go I genuinely try to let people know they are valued. I almost always compliment strangers while we’re in line somewhere. Smile and say hello to everyone I can. Say please and thank you sir and ma’am, tell the person serving my food have a blessed day...everyone of us is somebody’s daughter, son, father, mother, brother, sister, niece, nephew, cousin, or friend. I was blessed to grow up with lots of people who loved and looked out for me. I know very well that not every child has the idealic childhood that I did. If I could somehow convince EVERYONE that they matter, I would do it. People ask us, how can we foster a child and then let them go. I like to think we are making a difference in as many lives we possibly can. That’s my hope anyway. I think that a lot of adults are still damaged children desperate to feel like they matter. Every one of us matter to someone.

SurrealSD

Post by SurrealSD » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:42 am

I can tell from all of your posts that you're an incredibly compassionate, caring person.

TheGoodWifeLife

Post by TheGoodWifeLife » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 am

SurrealSD wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:42 am
I can tell from all of your posts that you're an incredibly compassionate, caring person.
Thank you! You clearly care deeply for people as well ❤️