Smart home technologies

All other things
User avatar
Clint
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:01 pm
Contact:

Smart home technologies

Post by Clint » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:56 am

Does anyone here use Smart Home technologies? I'm looking right now at the Amazon echo, and found that there are lots of different things available to monitor / administer your home even when away with an app. (You don't need an Amazon echo for this, there are systems available).

For example, cameras which are activated by motion sensors, heatings which are optimised by sensors etc.
Google also apparently offers a similar product called google home.

I'm not a technical expert - does anyone here use such things?
Clint from Domestic-Discipline.net
How do you like the web site ? If you have any ideas or wishes for future posts, don't hold back!

Kate
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Smart home technologies

Post by Kate » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:23 pm

We have Echo Dots in three rooms of our home. They are not connected to smart devices as of yet. I really enjoy being able to ask about news, weather, add to my shopping list and to do list. play games (Jeopardy), ask math questions like "Alexa, what is 6.02 times 10 to the power of 23", and such. She can also play music and read Audible books, all with voice command.

I admit it. I'm a nerd.

Kenneth
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:06 pm
Location: Fairfax, Virginia

Re: Smart home technologies

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:13 am

Several years ago I started using iCam. It worked for me because I refurbished computers and had access to several Macbooks, which could be connected with iCam software. It worked well.

More recently I've tried Titathink TT522PW-Pro, which has very good visuals and audio. EZVIZ products are also good.

Nikki
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:23 am
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

Re: Smart home technologies

Post by Nikki » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:17 pm

If you are looking for a web cam I've used the LogiTech C920 for camming. And my fiance just set up cirrus cameras.

User avatar
Clint
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Smart home technologies

Post by Clint » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Kate wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:23 pm
We have Echo Dots in three rooms of our home. They are not connected to smart devices as of yet. I really enjoy being able to ask about news, weather, add to my shopping list and to do list. play games (Jeopardy), ask math questions like "Alexa, what is 6.02 times 10 to the power of 23", and such. She can also play music and read Audible books, all with voice command.

I admit it. I'm a nerd.

Being a nerd is not a bad thing ;)

I'm looking right now at the Amazon Echo and I'll probably get one this week to check it out. How good is the voice control, by the way?
Clint from Domestic-Discipline.net
How do you like the web site ? If you have any ideas or wishes for future posts, don't hold back!

User avatar
Clint
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Smart home technologies

Post by Clint » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Kenneth wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:13 am
Several years ago I started using iCam. It worked for me because I refurbished computers and had access to several Macbooks, which could be connected with iCam software. It worked well.

More recently I've tried Titathink TT522PW-Pro, which has very good visuals and audio. EZVIZ products are also good.
Do you use the Titathink camera outdoor or indoor?
Clint from Domestic-Discipline.net
How do you like the web site ? If you have any ideas or wishes for future posts, don't hold back!

Jeremy
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 pm
Location: Central PA

Re: Smart home technologies

Post by Jeremy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:10 pm

I use echo dots, lutron caseta lighting and a nest camera. I love all of them.

cutegirl5
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:06 am

Re: Smart home technologies

Post by cutegirl5 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:20 am

My husband and I have a lot of our home set up through Google Home. My husband is a lot more into it than I am but he much prefers Google over Amazon, there are more capabilities. We have a majority of our lights hooked up so we can tell it to turn our lights on and off, which is amazing! We're also really into music so being able to hook it up to your Spotify or Google music account is really nice as well. You can tell it to play any song you want and 99% of the time it finds it. One thing that's different between Google and Amazon is if you tell it to play a song, Google will continue playing songs that are similar to the song you just played and Amazon will only play the one song and stop. It's been awesome because we have actually found a bunch of new artists we would have never found if it wasn't for the Google Home. Additionally we bought something called a Chromeapple that you hook up to your TV. This allows you to steam Netflix, YouTube etc through your Google Home on your TV. It's super nice and convenient to just tell it to play the last show you were watching on Netflix without even having to lift a finger. We do have a friend who has an Amazon Echo as well and just being over in his home, I much prefer the Google Home, but I could be biased😀 From what I know Google has a lot more capabilities than Amazon right now, not to say Amazon won't get there. Sorry for the long post!

Jeremy
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 pm
Location: Central PA

Re: Smart home technologies

Post by Jeremy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:29 am

cutegirl5 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:20 am
My husband and I have a lot of our home set up through Google Home. My husband is a lot more into it than I am but he much prefers Google over Amazon, there are more capabilities. We have a majority of our lights hooked up so we can tell it to turn our lights on and off, which is amazing! We're also really into music so being able to hook it up to your Spotify or Google music account is really nice as well. You can tell it to play any song you want and 99% of the time it finds it. One thing that's different between Google and Amazon is if you tell it to play a song, Google will continue playing songs that are similar to the song you just played and Amazon will only play the one song and stop. It's been awesome because we have actually found a bunch of new artists we would have never found if it wasn't for the Google Home. Additionally we bought something called a Chromeapple that you hook up to your TV. This allows you to steam Netflix, YouTube etc through your Google Home on your TV. It's super nice and convenient to just tell it to play the last show you were watching on Netflix without even having to lift a finger. We do have a friend who has an Amazon Echo as well and just being over in his home, I much prefer the Google Home, but I could be biased😀 From what I know Google has a lot more capabilities than Amazon right now, not to say Amazon won't get there. Sorry for the long post!
Not trying to start an argument or anything but everything you described is also available with the Amazon platform. I forgot to mention that I also use Amazon Fire stick for my TV. I am actually a huge Google fan and all of the mobile devices that I own are android devices. When I began looking into the smart home assistant technology I decided to go with Amazon for several reasons one of which was cost. And also the reviews I read at the time seamed to favor Amazon on functionality and such.

cutegirl5
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:06 am

Re: Smart home technologies

Post by cutegirl5 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:29 pm

Honestly for the best home automation you will want a dedicated home automation hub like Samsung SmartThings in addition to Google or Alexa.. We have Samsung SmartThings in addition to Google home. There are others as well, but i would recommend getting something that has both zigbee and z wave wireless abilities in addition to Alexa or Google home. This will allow you to have much easier control over your home than just Alexa or Google, but still get the voice activation benefits.

I agree many things can be done by both Alexa and Google but in different ways. We've found Google to be smarter, more flexible, and better with whole home music even with the recent multi room update with Amazon. My husband has used both. As far as Amazon vs Google home. Wait till Wednesday to see what Google is coming out with. Amazon just came out with many good new products, and Google is showing theirs off October 4. including something similar to inexpensive echo Dot.

I do think in the future Googleis ecosystem will be more robust. They already have their hands on more software and hardware than Amazon, for example If you have a Google phone it is like having another smart assistant connected to your house so you can just say ok Google and control your home no matter where you are. Even at work.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest